Okay, let’s talk Alternative therapies. I had a list HERE on recommended alternative herbal remedies for sickle cell. Well almost a year has passed by since then, and I’ve been told and have remembered a few more.
- Carao fruit: One of my Brazilian readers mentioned this. Apparently, she has been giving carao to her daughter who is 3, and her H&H goes up a couple of points even if she’s in the middle of a crises. It’s a tropical origin (South American countries), so if you aren’t close to the Equator you might not have access to it. Here is a site with a picture of what carao looks like (apparently it smells weird). I haven’t taken it, but I wouldn’t mind hearing another testimonial from someone that has.
- Cellfood: I used to take this in Nigeria, it was shipped to me from the US. You put a few drops of this liquid into an 8. oz glass of water/juice and sip on it all day long. “CELLFOOD is a proprietary ionic fomula containing dissolved oxygen, electrolytes, 78 ionic minerals, 34 enzymes and 17 amino acids— which provides an unsurpassed oxygenating source, and nutritional delivery system, to every cell of the body. CELLFOOD’s unique structure oxygenates and feeds the cells— cleaning and ‘tuning up’ our body’s systems all day long.” I fell off the bandwagon with cellfood once I had a crises but you can look at information on it HERE.
- L Arginine
- Dioscovite: This contains high amounts of thiocynate, which is mainly the nutrients found in African Yam. Read up more about it HERE.
- Omega 3/Fatty Acids
- Tahitian Noni Juice: Apparently it helps to boost your immune system and reduce pain. This is a statement from another sickle cell warrior..I’ve personally never used it before. Check it out HERE.
- And don’t forget the old list HERE