Roasted Beets and Sweets
I LOVE this recipe so much that I have to share with all of you. It has all the earmarks of being perfect for those with sickle cell, great root vegetables, easy to prepare, rich in thiocyanate. On top of that, it appeases both your sweet and salty palates, and gives you something to do with all those beets you bought. If you have the AllRecipes app, you can check it out HERE.
Rated: 4.5 Stars
Submitted By: DRUMNWRITE
Photo By: Jenny
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 1 Hour
Ready In: 1 Hour 15 Minutes
“Beets baked with sweet potatoes and onion make for a colorful, delicious fall or winter side dish.”
- 6 medium beets, peeled and cut into
- 2 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 – 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, cut into
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
2. In a bowl, toss the beets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to coat. Spread in a single layer on a baking sheet.
3. Mix the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and sugar in a large resealable plastic bag. Place the sweet potatoes and onion in the bag. Seal bag, and shake to coat vegetables with the oil mixture.
4. Bake beets 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Mix sweet potato mixture with the beets on the baking sheet. Continue baking 45 minutes, stirring after 20 minutes, until all vegetables are tender.
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED © 2012 Allrecipes.com Printed from Allrecipes.com 11/24/2012