FYI: The following links are provided as a service. Linking does not imply endorsement or support of any programs or organizations. Sickle Cell Warriors, Inc. is not responsible for the content of the individual organization home pages.
National Heart Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) Facts About Sickle Cell Anemia. NHLBI is a governmental agency that has invaluable information about the scientific aspects of sickle cell disease, including facts about sickle cell, causes, prevention, treatment, links to clinical trials and research. Good for those who wish to build a solid foundation about sickle cell disease.
Sickle Cell Disease Association of America (SCDAA). The national sickle cell disease organization.
Sickle Cell Disease National Resource Directory. Published by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), this guide lists sickle cell organizations, facilities, comprehensive medical centers, and support groups by state. If you are a moving or would like to find resources in your community, this is a great place to start. This was published in 2011, so some of the locations may have wrong phone numbers or addresses. Also, note that every center or group is not listed here. But it’s a good place to start.
The following organizations are good resources for basic information on sickle cell anemia.
- American Sickle Cell Anemia Association – www.ascaa.org/
- National Heart, Blood, and Lung Institute – www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/Sca/SCA_WhatIs.html
- Sickle Cell Disease Association of America – www.sicklecelldisease.org
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention – www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/sicklecell
- Sickle Cell Information Center- www.scinfo.org
- Clinical Trials and Research Studies for Sickle Cell Disease – www.clinicaltrials.gov
- Mayo Clinic sickle cell info – www.mayoclinic.com