Sickle Cell Warriors

Articles

 Breaking News
  • VOICE Crisis Alert App VOICE Crisis Alert App The VOICE Crisis Alert app is the first national app created for patients and families with sickle cell disease. The app stores all its data locally...
  • World Sickle Cell Day 2018 Hello Warrior Family! Don’t forget, today, Tuesday June 19th is World Sickle Cell Day. This was specially designated by the World Health Organization in 2009 to improve the education, research, and...
  • SCD Adult Support Groups in Southern California California Warriors, great news! Cayenne Wellness is now hosting monthly support group meetings in Fresno, San Diego, Los Angles, Loma Linda, and Antelope Valley. You get to meet others with...
  • Tracing sickle cell back to one child, 7,300 years ago Tracing sickle cell back to one child, 7,300 years ago Check out this amazing article by Nalina Eggert of BBC News for a journey of SCD from 7,300 years ago.  The...
  • Meet Brittany: Caregiver, poet, and writer This week’s warrior in the spotlight is Brittany Hightower.  Brittany is a caregiver who is beautiful, intelligent, and passionate about poetry. And oh yeah, she has sickle cell. How old...

Genetics & Causation

If you are a carrier of the sickle cell trait, it’s good to know this before you start falling in love and making babies. I will stress that it’s essential to know what your partner’s hemoglobin recessive gene is. Say you were like my parents, who are simply blissfully ignorant and in love, with every pregnancy you end up having a 25% chance of having a child with sickle cell, a 50% chance per pregnancy of having children who carry the trait and a 25% chance of having a child that has neither the trait or the disease.

I have 3 sisters and the math part of this was almost too precise. Some families have been known to have all their children end up having SSD…remember it’s not 100% guaranteed that you will have a child with the disease, but with each pregnancy, you have a shot of passing it on.

However…if I had fallen in love with a guy that was a carrier, I think I would have married him, just not have had kids. Thankfully the love of my life is perfectly without this chromosome, so we are home free.

Tags
Share

About Author

Sickle Cell Warrior

Sickle Cell Warrior

Tosin is dedicated to perpetuating healthy and positive messages about sickle cell. Although sickle cell is a subject often taboo in the communities this condition is most prevalent, Tosin's message is that sickle cell is not something to be ashamed of and you can live a rich and fulfilling life with sickle cell. Sickle cell warriors are the most amazing people in the world, with a great fortitude for compassion, willpower and strength.

Related Articles

0 Comments

No Comments Yet!

There are no comments at the moment, do you want to add one?

Write a comment

Write a Comment

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Donate

Support awareness & education for SCD

WordPress › Error

Error! Donation amount must be a numeric value.