Informational Release from Xechem Nigeria. This is old, but I just came across it so I figured it would help some answer all their questions.
NICOSAN™ is a non-toxic, Phyto-pharmaceutical, product for the treatment of Sickle Cell Disease (SCD). NicosanTM is obtained from the mixture of four Nigerian plant materials e.g. Piper guineese (Seeds), Pterocarpus Osun (Stems), Eugenia caryophyllum (Fruits), Sorghum bi-color (Leaves), in a standard ratio which produce a hygroscopic, reddish-brown powder with a pungent odor.
In July, 2002, Xechem acquired exclusive worldwide license from the Ministry of Health, Federal Government of Nigeria to develop and market NICOSAN™ (HEMOXIN™ in the US).
NICOSAN™ (HEMOXIN™) was shown to be a safe and efficacious medicine for the management of patients with Sickle Cell Disease. As published in the May 2003 issue of the British Journal of Hematology, Dr.Toshio Asakura and colleagues from Children’s Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP), USA and the University of Pennsylvania demonstrated the anti-sickling effects of NICOSAN™ (HEMOXIN™) in transgenic mice.
The quality and standardization of the medicine has been tested and proved by High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) and bioassay.
A 100 % Nigerian indigenous Product.
Product available in Capsules, pleasant tasting with no known side effects.
Dose determined and Clinical Trials conducted.
The pricing strategy will favor the poor and underprivileged.
BENEFITS OF NICOSAN™
1. It is used for prophylactic management of sickle cell disease (SCD).
2. It has potent anti sickling effect on sickled erythrocytes, obtained from patients with SCD and on transgenic mice that produced human sickle hemoglobin, thus useful in preventing painful crisis experienced by SCD patients.
3. It reduces hypoxic stress experienced by SCD patients (due to trapping of sickle cell in lungs), drastically.
4. It removes the incidence of blood transfusion in SCD PATIENTS.
5. It prevents clinical sequel (i.e. painful crisis).
6. It prevents ocular damage
NicosanTM comes in two different strengths:
250mg (Children Dose)
350mg (Adults Dose)
It is presented as 30 capsules, packaged in 60ml, HDPE bottles
One (1) capsule (350mg) daily at meal time with water.
One (1) capsule (250mg) daily at meal time with water.
Mild non- itching muscular rash
Nausea if taken on an empty stomach
– Non Toxic
– Higher doses of 2000mg 5000mg/kg LD50 (A lethal Dose at which 50% of the population of experimental mice were expected to die), there was no death recorded.
– No kidney or liver damage was observed both in human volunteers and in experimental animals during and after the clinical trials, the drug is safe in humans at the
There is no known contra-indication in both mice and human to all the active ingredients. The potash used for extraction and the binding agent (Lactose) are safe for human consumption.
No health hazard was observed, when administered in the proper dosage form.
It can be safely combined, with other drugs, even the cytotoxic drugs like Indinavir, Zidovudine, Lamivudine and Vevirapine used in the management of HIV/AIDS.
Paracetamol (Tylenol) was found to increase the invivo concentration of NicosanTM care must be taken, when they are co administered.
There is no known teratogenic effect produced by NicosanTM, even some pregnant women who opted (against clinician’s advice) to continue taking NicosanTM had normal babies.
To be stored in a dry clean place storage temperature is 25oc. Protect from moisture and humidity.
NICOSAN is an effective and safe drug of choice for the management of sickle cell disease (SCD).
Keep out of reach of the children don’t exceed the stated dose.
Let me know if you have any questions.